Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /usr/www/nomansland/public/MRG-Active-Archive/forums/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newtype 2007 to 2008: Macross F articles

Author Topic: Newtype 2007 to 2008: Macross F articles  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sketchley's Macross Gateway - check today!
Newtype 2007 to 2008: Macross F articles
« on: September 11, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
Newtype 2007.10:

Please extend the courtesy of proper citation via linking when you quote or paraphrase this translation.

Macross Article 1 on Nakajima Megumi.

The current temporary name for the new TV series is Macross F.  The title is written as ????F and Frontier being written in furigana next to the F.  (The same thing was done with the 0 in Macross 0.)
Nakajima Megumi will play the heroine Ranka Rii*.
The rest of the article is an interview about her winning out over 5,000 in the audition, and her experiences in the Macross 25th Minmei meets Fire Bomber concert, and singing some of the Macross songs.

Macross Article 2 on the Macross 25th Anniversary Live Minmay** Meets Fire Bomber Concert

Includes when, where and what songs were played at the concert.
A 2 minute pilot film was shown at the concert.  The magazine states pilot film in katakana, thus creating the possibility that what was shown may not be exactly what the finalized TV series will actually look like.

* This is using the standard, Modified Hepburn system of romanization.  Possible intended romanizations (all non-standard) could be Ranker, Lanka, Lanker, and Lii, Ree, Li, Leigh, Lie, or Lee.  Some of these being family names from China (fits with existing Macross elements) and Korea.

** The English name used in the article; standard romanization of the name being Minmei.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:58:44 PM by Sketchley »

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Macross F articles in Newtype 2007.10 issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Some random thoughts:

F is the 6th letter of the alphabet.  Macross F is the 6th Macross series, going by characters.

1st: SDF:M & DYRL
2nd: Flashback 2012
3rd: Macross Plus
4th: Macross 7, M7 Movie, M7 Dynamite
5th: Macross 0
6th: Macross F

I think that we'll start to see more on Macross F once Engage Planet Kissdum has finished (when is it due to finish?) as the same production company is supposed to work on the new Macross TV series.

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Newtype 2007.10 anime roundup
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:04:30 AM »
The following is not intended to be a complete review of the entire magazine.  It is simply of the things that drew my attention and/or I consider remarkable.

The New Evangalion Movie - there are some cool shots from the movie.  It is truly, in the words of the article, the same, but not the same.  The 2nd Angel (1st seen in the series) looks pretty much the same (how could they improve on that?!)  But the face lift on the 3rd Angel is impressive.  I am blown away at the typically stylish and awesome look given to the elements and battle around the 4th Angel (the diamond.)  The movie is definitely darker in colour tones than the series - there's a lot of night shots.  It's definitely going to be another anime benchmark - in style and art, that is.

Gundam 00 - some of the new gundams look typical gundam, one looks butt ugly.  It's sad that the always excellent Yanase designs are mangled in the promotional art.

You're Under Arrest - Full Throttle - the prmotional peice looks great, though the character design is a step away from that in the manga and OVA series.  If the series has the same name as a Charlie's Angels movie, it's gotta be cool!

Appleseed Movie Ex Machina - awesome, awesome, awesome.  It's a shame that it's in the upcoming anime section... meaning that we have to wait!  >.<  The revised character designs look great - it looks like they've increased the variation in shadow and shading on the characters, getting an almost air brushed effect.  The roadshow starts on October 20th... drool.

Ah!  My Goddess! - there's something in the works for the 20th anniversary of the manga in anime formation on TV.  New series?

Cutey Honey - a new live action Cutie Honey is in the works.  The costume isn't so great, but the actress is pretty cute.

Aquarion; Theatrical Edition - what Shoji Kawamori's been working on of late?  Roadshow is from September, 2007.  Check it out at gattai.jp/

Engage Planet Kissdum - the last episode  (26) is due to air on 9/25.  With it's end, perhaps Shoji Kawamori can focus more completely on Macross F?????

Modeling Article on Five Star Stories' 1/144 Engage SR1.  As with all FSS models, it looks sweet and detailed to the extreme!

DVD releases 9/25:
- Macross 7 Remaster Box 1.  ?39,900.  740 minutes with 2 24 page books, and stuff from Macross 7 Plus, etc..
- Macross 7 Remaster Box 2.  ?39,900.  707 minutes with 2 24 page books, and stuff from Macross 7 Plus, M3, etc..

Blue-ray Disc releases
9.25: Jin-roh (English subtitles), Avalon
10.26: Patlabor WXIII (English Subtitles)
11.23: Spriggan, Metropolis, Memories, New SOS big Tokyo something something

NOW ON SALE: Royal Space Force Honeamise (BD, HD), Patlabor I (BD, HD), Patlabor 2 (BD, HD), Ghost in the Shell (movie)(BD), Steamboy (BD).
BD = Blue ray, HD = HD DVD (I think)

All are at ?10,290.  Here's hoping that the format war will be over soon, and the prices will drop quickly... Mind you, I picked up LotR:RotK this past week, and even on Amazon.jp it was more than ?8,000 (list price more than ?10,000), so the chance of the BD price of anime dropping is low...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:59:26 PM by Sketchley »

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Newtype 2007.10 anime roundup
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »
Forgot to mention about the New Evangalion movie: it appears they are going the route of the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam with the film version - 3 movies.  Case in point, this new movie has no Asuka!  Though, Kaworu Nagisa does make a (brief?) appearance.

Offline Heron

• Major General
  • To err is Human...To forgive, Canine.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Profile

Offline Runeknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:29:13 AM »
I read the article this afternoon.  It means I will have to go to the comic store and pick up my subscription this month since I get both "Newtype" and "Newtype USA". 
When Reality comes a knock'n don't answer the door.

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:20 AM »
*sigh* Soon we will be considered old school and outdated with our VF-19 and VF-22...
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline Sketchley

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
I gots the latest Newtype.  Having dinner, then making some scan action... and perhaps a little translation fun too. ;)

Offline Runeknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:50:30 AM »
I gots the latest Newtype.  Having dinner, then making some scan action... and perhaps a little translation fun too. ;)

drool...drool.  It will be Sunday before I can go pick up my subscription.  :(

Offline Zed Cassel

• Administrator
  • Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »
I gotta see this!! Sadly I am horrible when it comes to foreign languages, so my one attempt at taking a japanese class was a massive failure. ><

Offline Runeknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
I gotta see this!! Sadly I am horrible when it comes to foreign languages, so my one attempt at taking a japanese class was a massive failure. ><

I took 4 semesters of Japanese and aced them all, but haven't been practicing or continuing to learn it (got spoiled on dubs) for the last eight years now my mind draws a blank when I hear or see it.  Its frustrating  :banghead: to see kana, kanji or hear words that I recognize and know I should know but can't remember.  I only have myself to blame. :whip:

The pictures are nice.  I'm not sure if it is the right word to describe it, but I would say The VF-25 looks sleek.  Very reminiscence (especially with the color schemes they chose) of the VF-1 just streamlined.

Offline Halley

• Lt. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:01:51 AM »
Now that i'ved seen the trailler, i confirm my think: even the grunt pilot fighter isen't a VF-19... i though i'ved seen a VF-22, but it was my imagination. yup, soon, people, we will have new fighters!
"You know you got a Good Variable Fighter when you have so much weapons that you don't have enought fingers to press all the triggers in same time!"

- A Test Pilot on New Edwards Base

Offline Heron

• Major General
  • To err is Human...To forgive, Canine.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 03:21:29 AM »
Trailer is up here:

http://macross.co.jp/?id=special,2007111001

The animation looks tight and the transformation of the VF-25 was wicked. It seemed to me to separate into two halves before coming back together.

Offline Runeknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12:06 AM »
Trailer is up here:

http://macross.co.jp/?id=special,2007111001

The animation looks tight and the transformation of the VF-25 was wicked. It seemed to me to separate into two halves before coming back together.

Its all connected during transformation.  My crossed-eyes can attest to it after watching more time than I can remember.  :shock: